Superfoods are becoming more and more popular, as we become increasingly health-conscious.
These foods tend to be low in calories, but nutrient dense and, oftentimes, full of essential nutrients and antioxidants.
Superfoods are beneficial because they can provide us with important nutrients that our own bodies cannot produce.
There are many types of superfoods with some of the most well-known being blueberries, salmon, and acai berries.
Superfoods can be broken down into main categories including green, fruit and nut, seaweed, bee, and herb superfoods.
Fruits & Nuts
Nuts and fruits that are considered superfoods as they are high in antioxidants and are said to fight free radicals in the body.
They are able to fight these free radicals with their high levels of antioxidants.
The following are some of the most well-known fruit and nut superfoods:
- Acai Berries – Purple berries grown in the Amazon region that have a high level of anthocyanins which are antioxidants.
- Goji Berries – Red berries grown in Tibet and Mongolia that feature a distinct taste and are high in vitamin C.
- Coconuts – The fruit with one of the highest sources of electrolytes in nature.
- Raw Cacao – These beans are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals (keep in mind the stuff you buy at the store is not generally raw and the cooking method depletes lots of the vitamins).
Greens, in general, are usually good for you and green superfoods are even better.
They are high in nutrients, minerals, and vitamins.
Green superfoods also tend to contain healthy bacteria and phytochemicals that can aid in digestion, as well as keeping your muscles clean.
Studies show that green superfoods also help increase the production of hemoglobin.
The following are some of the most well-known green superfoods:
- Spirulina – A micro-algae that is one of the highest known protein sources in the world.
- Wheat Grass – The grass of a wheat seed, it is alkalizing and therefore good for your blood.
- Blue-green Algae – A phyto-plankton that contains tons of nutrients and more than 60% protein.
- Barley Grass – Grass that is very high in calcium, vitamin C, and flavonoids.
Herbs serve many purposes and offer the body many different nutrients along with helping the body to heal and regulate itself.
They have been used for thousands of years as a natural healing method.
The following are some of the most common herb superfoods:
- Ginseng – An herb that is widely used throughout the world, and in many of the supplements I’ve personally tested like Testofuel, that is said to help handle stress and promote regeneration.
- Aloe Vera – A perennial succulent that has been discovered to contain 75 healing compounds.
- Echinacea – An herb that is often used to help ward off sickness, it is a natural antibiotic.
Bee superfoods have been in use since Ancient Egyptian times for many reasons.
They have also been noted for their medicinal properties throughout history.
It was actually discovered that people who ate raw honey daily tended to live longer than those that didn’t.
The following are some of the most common bee superfoods:
- Bee Pollen – This is the most complete food found in nature and has extraordinarily high levels of protein.
It is also considered a natural antidote.
- Royal Jelly – The secretion from the head glands of worker bees, royal jelly has high levels of nutrients and is a great source of pantothenic acid.
- Propolis – The substance that bees use to coat the walls of their hives, propolis is considered an antibiotic as well as an antiseptic that helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Raw Honey – Unprocessed honey that contains micronutrients.
Raw honey is considered a natural antimicrobial agent.
There are various types of seaweed that can be consumed and all are nutritionally dense and a really good source of minerals.
Seaweed superfoods are calcium rich, alkalizing, and contain high levels of antioxidants.
The following are some common seaweed superfoods that can be consumed:
- Kelp – Also called brown algae, the plant has thick leaves and is the most common seaweed found along shores.
- Nori – This is the seaweed that is used to create sushi rolls.
- Kombu – A type of seaweed that is often used as a flavor enhancer, it is mineral rich and aids in digestion.
There are many different superfoods available and new ones are consistently being discovered.
While there have been some doubts as to some of the claims made about superfoods and their abilities, there has never been any doubt as to the nutritional substance of foods that are considered superfoods.